Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Streching

Today I wanna talk about stretching and why it’s so beneficial. It’s interesting that none of the guys in my gym do any stretching because I guess they think it’s not manly enough hah. But guess what, the more you stretch the more you’ll be able to lift. Why? Well because stretching reduces the time you need to recover. I experimented with this for some two months now and it really helps. You just feel more relaxed, your muscles are nice and loose and you feel kinda lighter and refreshed. To most of you stretching is probably boring but I gotta tell you, when I saw the results I loved it, and the results actually come quite fast. Plus you can stretch the way you want, it’s just important you hit all the muscle groups. The guys that say stretching is not tough enough maybe, let me tell you it’s a whole other world of pain out there and it hurts a helluva lot more then weight lifting, that I promise. Optimally you should stretch the same amount you workout. So if you workout an hour, you should stretch for an hour. Yeah yeah I know you’re probably screaming right now heh. But hold on, you can stretch for half the amount you workout to get good results. Plus if you are willing to "suck it up" and endure some more pain by stretching a bit harder you will get more results. Personally I stretch at the end of my workout because I’m warmed up and it’s easier for me then, I sip on my shake and stretch at the same time. So how do you stretch? I start with my hamstrings and legs in general. Then my back, chest, arms and abs. When you stretch let’s say your hamstrings for example, like with every body part you should go to that position where it hurts, then hold it for a at least 30 seconds or for as long as it takes for the pain to calm down. Then you move it some more until you feel the pain again and repeat the process for as long as you wish. You see, this is progress on the spot right here. Not to mention it will help you with your workout routine (I think I’ll be posting some of mine too) :) For example, now when I’m doing squats I can go down to a position where my but is almost hitting the floor, that’s beyond the position where your quads are parallel to the floor and my joints don’t hurt. So there you have it. If you stretch you’ll feel better, you’ll be able to lift more and lift with better form. You can also stretch on your of days, like I'm gonna do today :)

No comments: