Monday, August 18, 2008

Intensity=muscle growth

Now this is something that can instantly tell you when you walk in the gym, who works out for real and who doesn’t. I got a guy in the local gym who always asks me what is that exercise for, how do you work out, why do you do it like that, why in that order why this why that. Now I don’t mind answering any of these questions at all…AFTER my workout. Why? Because I got no damn time. I got 30 seconds to get from one exercise to another ok? He is always complaining about his physique but when I watched him this is what I saw: talk talk talk talk then do one set then slowly walking to get something to drink then some more talk, then he freakin sits down and watches some TV oh look another set yaaay clap clap clap heh. This is something what most guys do actually; where’s the intensity??? You won’t build muscle this way! Why did you come here? You want to look good? Feel good? Pick it up bub or stay home. Like I already wrote you’re either hot or cold, you either train or your time and money go down the drain. So what is intensity? You can hear people say; “Oh boy I worked out for two hours today, wow that was intense” No it wasn’t it was stupid and not effective, you just took one step forward and two steps back. Keep your workout under an hour. “But I can’t make it in that time I got…” yadda yadda… yes you can, if you can’t your workout routine needs changing. Keep your rest periods short, 30 seconds, use a stopwatch. Intensity means progressively and constantly putting your muscles to unaccustomed stress. It does not however mean that you lift a certain weight then next time take a bigger pause between sets and the lift a bigger weight. Did you really lift bigger? No you didn’t, you cheated yourself and just took a bigger pause and lost the intensity. You need to give your muscles a REASON TO GROW. If you do low weight and high reps, they are NOT going to get bigger. Keep your intensity up at all times, progressively increase weights by little and build new muscles.

No comments: